First of all, a great big huge thank you goes out to all of my Fan-freaking-tastic WordPress dudes that noticed my lack of lurking and messaged me to make sure I was okay. Dudes! I don’t even have the words to express how much that meant to me. For a large part of my life, I felt invisible, unwanted, part of the landscape. It still surprises me when I’m noticed, recognized or remembered. But, that’s a tangent we need not explore. So, again, THANKS DUDES!!! You totally rock!
The reason for my absence was medical in nature. It was nothing major, but enough to make me miserable. When I’m in an acute phase of a problem, I crawl into my cave (aka my bed) and, like an animal, lick my wounds. Well, not literally, but you get the idea. Also like an animal, I tend to snarl and snap at anyone who comes close. I prefer solitude in my misery.
I am feeling a little better. The acute phase has passed into the area of chronic. I’ll just add one more chronic complaint to the list of my body’s broken down stuff.
Now, on to the kitchen fire. Dear, sweet, wonderful, awesome King Ben was quietly watching a movie on the TV and random stuff on his tablet after school yesterday. I was lying down on my bed. Suddenly, I smell smoke. Hmmmm??? Both daughters are also home, could they be burning insence? Smudging? No, that’s bad smoke I smell. I jump up and go to the living room and am met with a room filled with smoke. The living room and kitchen are one big room. King Ben is coughing and looking around. I see that the side of my refrigerator is on fire. The calendar, the bills, the menus…the various things that wind up held on with magnets or tape, they’re all burning. Not smoldering. Not a little Burt. We’re talking FIRE! It’s also climbed up and jumped on to a few things sitting on top of the fridge. I yell “HELP” to the daughters, go to the sink an fill a pot up with water. I douse the biggest bunch of burning stuff, grab a couple things off the top and throw them to the floor, and go back for more water. The daughters have answered my call and King Ben’s mama takes him to sit down and check him for injuries. Younger daughter grabs her water bottle and starts dumping it over the stuff on the floor. I’ve gotten a second pot-full and dumped it on top and down the side of the fridge. It looks like we got it all, but we’re checking through to make sure.
Ben is fine. He didn’t get burned at all. I guess the Lady Liberty Beacon from the first Madagascar movie gave him the idea to set a fire of his own. Can I get an OY VEY?! Yeah, he likes to re-enact scenes from movies. It’s one of his autism things. Another of his autism things is being very, very sensitive to moods. If he senses someone is angry he goes off. He can handle stern, just not anger. So we had to explain to him in a calm, stern, loving tone of voice that fire is very dangerous. Fire can hurt. We know fire is pretty to look at, but he must never make a fire without one of us with him. We did awesome, if I do say so myself! We put out the fire and handled the little arsonist with good results. Plus, I think the fire scared the crap out of him. I hope so!
So, I was hiding in my cave for a few days with medical stuff. I was feeling better yesterday, then Ben lit the fridge on fire. Yep, that about sums it up.
I’m coming back to lurk again. I doubt I’ll be able to go back and read everything I’ve missed. I still have a bunch of stuff I need to do this week while Ben is at school. When he’s home, all attention must be paid to him. OBVIOUSLY!
Thanks again for being the best dudes ever!