Part 90 ~ The Adventures of King Ben & Zeus the Big Dumb Dog

If you missed the start of this series, you can find it here. A lot of things will be the same or very similar.

Pictures of last night’s sunset, taken from my side door

Daughter ordered a delivery of food from Panda Express so I was munching on Veggie Spring Rolls while I was watching the sunset. Very good way to spend an hour.

I took my pill at 10:00 and was dozing when Ben Bounced me at 10:28. I didn’t move. I hoped he’d just get in bed and go back to sleep. He did get in bed. He cuddled up real close, Spoon Style. I said a groggy Hello to him and told him to go back to sleep. He told me to go to the living room. I resisted, but as we all know, Resistance Is Futile… We were in the living room at 10:59.

A very long night followed. I did doze here and there but between Zeus and HRH, I was physically squooshed and my peasant services were required. No fever or vomiting during the night, that was good.

Around 5:00 Ben woke me up by trying to close the side door. This house… all the doors have a “trick” to them. The side door has to be pushed in toward the hinges. Ben was slamming it with his butt. That does work, it just takes several tries and makes a lot of noise… especially at 5am.

He came back to the couch, I checked his temperature… no fever. He had some water and laid down and watched the TV (still Hocus Pocus) or his tablet. I worked on getting my eyes to focus.

Daughter got up around 6:00 and I gave her the report. She asked if I wanted to go lay down for an hour, I told her thanks, but no. It would’ve made me logey all over again. She stayed out in the living room to talk with Ben and just hang out before she had to get ready for work.

I gave him meds, crushed and mixed with water at 6:30. I talked him through it, hoping he wouldn’t gag and vomit. He did gag a little but kept the meds down. Yay!

Then I dealt with the other sleepy male, Mr Sven Dragon. I uncovered his terrarium, turned his lights on and got fresh arugula, blackberries and blueberries.

At 7:35 we got in the car to take Daughter to work. We dropped her off, wished her a good day, I promised to text periodically, then I drove home. Ben immediately laid down on the couch and went to sleep. I figured I might as well be comfy and went to my room.

While typing an email, I dozed off… twice. I finally got the email sent and was scanning through my inbox and konked out again. Daughter’s text asking about Ben woke me up. I let her know he was okay and sleeping. Then I hear “Hey! Gramma!” Time to move back to the living room.

I took his temperature, it was normal. It was a little after 10:00 so I started preparing him to take his pill at 10:30. I also talked to him about drinking lots of water and trying to eat something.

He swallowed the pill and kept it down. He still wouldn’t eat anything but had some more water. Then he dozed back off again. I went back to my room again.

He was still sleeping as it got close to noon. I texted Daughter and told her I was gonna skip the half Adderall. No point in waking him up and risking vomiting. She called at noon on her lunch break. She agreed about skipping the med. We chatted about her day and Ben until it was time for her to go back. She asked me to text his temperature when he woke up.

Right after we hung up, I heard “Gramma! Gramma!” from the living room. I yelled back that I was coming, grabbed my stuff and went. His temperature was 98.3, normal. I texted Daughter to let her know. We just hung out on the couch. Me trying to talk him into eating something, pushing the water and checking his temperature periodically.

His temp was bouncing between 98.3-99.0 (36.8-37.2c), not high, but he felt warm. So I gave him two ibuprofen with his two half pills that are his 2:00 meds. I crushed it all and loaded the syringe. He took the full syringe without even gagging. He drank some water after and laid back down. I texted Daughter the latest update. He was starting to fall asleep again, so I let him.

We left to go pick Daughter up at 4:15. She got off at 4:30 and we drove slow. She was waiting for us and I drove faster to get home. Zeus was overjoyed to see us when we arrived at 4:43. We had been gone TWENTY-EIGHT minutes… an eternity. Poor Big Dumb Dog…

I think I’ll leave it here. We’re all just going to relax and take it easy. Then try to get Ben to eat something… anything… and keep pushing the water. Here’s tonight’s song…

I saw the Drones tour January 2016…excellent show!

Thanks for hanging out at Casa Cuckoo with us. Sorry we didn’t make better use of our Home Alone status but the whole keg party thing has been done way too many times before. Daughter will be home tomorrow so we’ll see what her energy adds or subtracts. It’s about time for Younger to bring Kris the sssneezy, ssssick sssnake by for another injection too. Ya just never know…






17 thoughts on “Part 90 ~ The Adventures of King Ben & Zeus the Big Dumb Dog

  1. I am glad Ben is getting better. But you’ll be totally exhausted, being up all night. I think you should go to sleep when he does. That’s what moms of very young babies do. Sleep with the baby.

    Liked by 1 person

  2. I’ve never seen a snake sneeze 😄. That’s a tongue twister. 🙃 Sounds like a busy sleepy day. Hope the zzzzzz’s catch up with you tonight and that Ben gets hungry! ✨🍟☺️💝

    Liked by 1 person

  3. Glad things are stable for now with Ben and his health.
    Hope you are staying cool with this weeks heat wave.

    I made apricot jam today for four hours. I give these jars away as hostess gifts. I don’t think we will be going to any parties any time soon.


    Liked by 1 person

  4. Seems like Ben is getting better – thank goodness – and it’s good he’s drinking. I’m sure he’ll feel like eating something soon. Best wishes to you all. 🙂

    Liked by 1 person

  5. It is good to hear that Ben is feeling a bit better, but wow – a whole night awake on the couch – that sounds tough! I am glad the day was mellow. Here is hoping for a great chill day today!

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Once you get past the Twilight association with Muse, they’re a fantastic band! The show was very theatrical, very cool.

      Yeah, I hate getting up before I go to bed. It’s just not right☹


  6. All of this was entertaining and satisfying (Ben’s getting better! Yay!) as usual, but I’m fixated on the comment you made to terismyth about loving “apricot pineapple” jam. That sounds extraordinarily delicious, and now I’m counting the seconds until the stores open in the morning and I can find some. This is Dallas, Surely I can find some somewhere, right?

    Apparently I need bigger goals in my life, but I’ll take what I can get… 😉

    Liked by 1 person

    1. I had a sudden craving like that, for apple butter. After someone wrote about preserving and Mason jars. It was while visiting in lovely Miami, OK that I first learned the joy of Mason jars pinging and first tasted apple butter.
      I wish you luck in your search and the joy of a delicious pb&j sammich with your find!

      Oh, yeah, and YAY! I’ll be back to writing the words before we know it🙄😂

      Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply to King Ben's Grandma Cancel reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.