Part 256 ~ The Adventures of King Ben & Zeus the Big Dumb Dog

If you missed the start of this series, you can find it here. A lot of things will be the same or very similar.

Sciencey Stuff and a Meh sunset.

The rest of the evening was chill. All the usual Things and Stuff after The Boys were tucked in. I took my pills around 11:30pm and went right to sleep.

I woke up around 4:30am but burrowed down further under my blankets and dozed for thirty or forty-five minutes. I got up around 5:30, got coffee and thanked my Coffee Dragon for having it ready for me, peeked out the kitchen window, and did a Keanu “Whoa!” I had another drink of coffee for warmth and went out into the cold.

I took a bazillion pictures over the next hour or ninety minutes. I don’t want to burn you guys out on photo overload though, so I’m working on reducing the number I post. Georgie and Gracie came by for breakfast, then another couple came by. Four gulls this morning. Georgie and Gracie did NOT want to share. There were gulls and crows all over the sky this morning.

I kept having to go back inside to thaw out my fingers. Thank goodness Daughter was home to get Ben ready for the GLYSB, cuz I would’ve been bummed to miss the show Mother Nature put on this morning. It was truly spectacular and I was very excited and very happy!

The GLYSB arrived on time and after the Happy Dancing, I got Horizontal under a blanket until it was time to run to the post office and grocery store. I must’ve dozed because it was suddenly 9:30. I distinctly remember 8:30, so either I slept, or time slipped a notch. Either way, I needed to get going to the store. I needed to drop off prescriptions, two for me and one for Ben, and I needed Ben’s today. I got myself ready, and away I went.

I wound up going by two stores, Rite Aid and Vons. Ben needed more melatonin and Daughter’s wine is cheaper at Rite Aid too. I stopped there first, then went to Vons. I was happy to see the pharmacist that I’ve “known” for twenty years was working and also the efficent tech. My two prescriptions weren’t due to be filled until the second or third of December but I figured I’d drop them off since I was there. Some of the other staff got confused when I tried to do this previously. Anyway, they said they’d have Ben’s med ready in twenty minutes, so I started my shopping.

I was bummed to see the display with Pink Cookies was now filled with Green cookies. I grabbed one box, thinking that maybe if we told him it was because of Christmas, and since the box is the same, he might at least try them. The store also carries a two-pack of the Pink Cookies by a different manufacturer, instead of $5 for a dozen, they were $2 for two. I bought ten of the two-packs. Yes, it seems ridiculous, but if the green cookies aren’t acceptable, then those two-packs are it. Hopefully the Pink Cookies phase will be over soon. I was able to get everything else on my list, picked up Ben’s med and headed home.

Daughter was sleeping so I carried everything in and put it all away. Then I needed a break. The quick trip took me almost two hours from start to finish. Today was one of those slippery days when time seems to fly by. Before I knew it, Ben was scanned onto the bus and on his way home.

Since I noticed that Daughter hadn’t taken chicken out to defrost, and she was just waking up, Ben wouldn’t have food waiting for him when he got home. Yes, we have all kinds of snacks but he didn’t seem very interested in them over the weekend. I put on my mask and went over to Little Caesar’s to get him some Crazy Bread. Then I stopped in at the market and got eight of the little two for a dollar bags of poofs.

Ben got home at 1:45pm… so much for the 2:05pm drop off time on the schedule that Transportation sent. Anyway, he came in and looked around, looking for food and/or a toy. He saw the Crazy Bread, then he looked on the table where I’d set the box of Green Cookies. I told him that the store didn’t have Pink Cookies, they had Green ones for Christmas but it was the same cookies. He took the box, opened it, and started eating the frosting off. WOOT WOOT!! That is HUGE!!! These guys have a VERY hard time with ANY change. For Ben to even try the cookies was a major deal. If we could only get him to try other new things…

Ben ate part of the cookies, then started on the Crazy Bread. He hung out in the living room with Daughter, watching his tablet or playing with his chalk. I took my Science Project pictures when the alarm went off, then went back to going through my WP reader. I got a very late start today and time felt slippery today.

Ben came in and asked me for new chalk. He really does go through it fast. I just got two boxes delivered yesterday and I should probably order more. Daughter took chicken out when Ben got home. I guess she’s going to cook his dinner a little later tonight. She also talked about making soup. I told her I wasnt sure I was ready for soup again.

Almost time for sunset. We shall see if Mother Nature gives us a dramatic show, or a gentle easing into darkness. Of course, with a big full moon, it won’t be total darkness.

In honor of tonight’s full moon…

Moonshadow – Cat Stevens

Another groovy day. Some surprises along the way, surprises can be fun. Time, time, time… it drags and slips. Today it seemed to fly by with not much to mark its passing. Tomorrow is another GLYSB day, and another opportunity for Adventures. Will you join us? ¡Hasta mañana!






15 thoughts on “Part 256 ~ The Adventures of King Ben & Zeus the Big Dumb Dog

  1. That’s super neat that Ben tried something new! Woohoo! Something new for me too – the Cat Stevens song 🎶 is beautiful. Your sunsets are always such a nice way to end my day. Thank you! Hugs 🤗🌝☀️💞☕️

    Liked by 1 person

    1. I know! I was thinking of the old LIFE cereal commercial with “Mikey” when he tried the cookies.😂 I’m so happy we won’t have a Major Deal with the cookies. The store had bunches of the green ones, so I guess Pink Cookies is gonna be Green Cookies… with emergency backup when he’s feeling cantankerous 😂
      I’m so glad you like the pictures. The Science Project is almost over. A little over 3 weeks to go til Solstice. 🌝🌠🌞💫🍪💕

      Liked by 1 person

    1. I was shocked! (And it wasn’t you this time🤣🤣) Before he gave up the juice, we’d go through a rough period every time they sponcered a soccer team or something and put a different picture on the pouches. He didnt want to even try it. We’d show him the box was the same, show him the words were the same… NOPE! Wouldn’t even try. We’d have to catch him distracted so he drank it before he saw the picture.
      Trying the Green Cookies was MAJOR! It bodes well for future flexibility. 💃🏼✨🎉

      Liked by 1 person

    1. Thank you, Sadje! Anyone who knows autistic kids knows they are very set in their routines and likes. Autism and Flexibility don’t go well together… generally. For him to try the cookies was such a MAJOR thing! Daughter and I were talking recently about how he seems to be a little more flexible about stuff. It will definitely be helpful as he gets older and learns more about life. Things are ALWAYS changing!🙄

      Do you ever watch sunrise? I know you’re often up early like I am. It’s interesting to see the sky and sunrises and sunsets from different places.🤗🥰💕 I hope your Tuesday is Terrific!💃🏼✨💫🌞

      Liked by 1 person

      1. You’re so right! I hope he keeps on this trend and then future won’t look that scary for him.
        I have watched sunrise often but I don’t do it regularly as it is cold outside and the sun comes up behind our house. I’d have to go to the first floor terrace.

        Liked by 1 person

  2. Beautiful sky! I would have taken a bunch of pictures of it too. Declan’s bus does the same thing to me. I was told he would get dropped off at home around 3:45. A couple of times he got dropped at 3:20 – good thing I was home! And then when the big schools opened, his bus got doubled up and was doing a HS trip as well. So then he wasn’t getting home until 4:30 with me wondering where he was. I actually just went to the school to pick him up twice when he wasn’t home at 4:00. Things are starting to get back on track – the kinks are being ironed out, thank goodness. And Ben tried the new cookies! That is awesome. Well, I hope you guys have a great day today!

    Liked by 1 person

    1. When they remember to scan his card we have a better idea when he’ll be home. It takes about 20 minutes to get from his school to our house… if there’s no traffic or accidents on the freeway. I think Transportation planned on other kids, or left wiggle room or something when they figured the times. We usually get it figured out with the driver in the first couple weeks. The current driver doesn’t waste time, very efficient… darn it😉😂 We love her though, so we accept an earlier drop off.
      Wow, 4:30 is really late! He starts later in general. Ben’s school starts at 8am. He got up at 4am this morning, little stinker. 🙄🤦🏼‍♀️😴💕

      Liked by 1 person

  3. Great news on the cookies!

    I love me some Cat Stevens, especially the late 60s/early-to-mid 70s. (Not so much a fan of what came later.) I wore out several 8-tracks and cassettes of his greatest hits before CDs came along. Many great tunes, but my fave is “Father and Son”. That one still speaks right to my heart…

    Liked by 1 person

    1. I love them all. I don’t know that I have a favorite… maybe Peace Train or Morning Has Broken.

      The Cookie thing was HUGE!!

      BTW … I have info, I just need to gather it, organize it and send it. I’ve been randomly falling asleep again, so hopefully I’ll get it to you soon-ish😉

      Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply to bereavedandbeingasingleparent Cancel reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.