Part 296 ~ The Adventures of King Ben & Zeus the Big Dumb Dog

If you missed the start of this series, you can find it here. A lot of things will be the same or very similar.

Sunset was a bust…

… it was probably a good thing, because Ben was still having problems. For whatever reason, he wasn’t happy with Daughter’s vibe or something. He asked me to go to the living room with him around 5pm, so I went. He told Daughter to “go to Mommy’s room!” I told him to be nice, we could ALL sit in the living room.

He ate his “orange chicken” and watched his tablet. After a few minutes of just sitting there, I got up and cleaned up all the chalk. Then I brushed and rebraided his hair and ran his bath. He got in, and I helped him get get clean, then he played and got out.

We took Daughter to work without problems, came home and I got The Boys tucked in, then texted Daughter to let her know we were home safe. Then it was Things, Stuff, food, meds, and sleep around 11:30pm.

Door kicking was today’s wakeup. I really miss the Bounce and “cuddle”. I went to the living room then looked at the time… 3:45am. Sigh… four hours of sleep was better than zero hours, but it was going to be a long day! I gathered his stuff, activated the Coffee Dragon early, (with apologies… it wasn’t supposed to wake until 5am) and texted Daughter to let her know I was awake and doing Couch Sittin Duty.

A little after 6am, I was getting more coffee and I looked out the kitchen window and saw that the horizon was starting to lighten up. I went out to check out the sky and look for Venus.

I noticed there were no clouds and it was like 35°F (2°C) so I took a few pictures with the Moon and Venus, went back inside and stayed there. Too dang cold for my SoCal self. I did go back out a little after 7am to see if the gulls were around, but I didn’t see any, and it was still too cold.

Ben and I left around 7:20am to go get Daughter from work. We had to sit and wait for five minutes or so for the frost to thaw off the windshield. Daughter was waiting for us and practically ran to the car, she was ready to get away from the hospital. We were back home by 7:40am, and met with a whining, wiggling Dogzilla. Rinse, repeat…

The morning was okay, but Ben was super jittery. He was grinding his teeth, something he hasn’t done in a while. I’m adding that to the list of things to bring up to his med doctor. The time release Adderall doesn’t seem to be strong enough or it just isn’t as effective as the instant release. Ben was in a good enough mood, but he was doing stuff like repeating a word or phrase over and over until it drove me bonkers. He couldn’t sit still, but he wanted me to get up and get stuff or do stuff for him. Intense and exhausting.

Around noon he started with the “get dressed… go to the store…” nonsense again. I gave him more chalk, but he wanted a “big box” now. I tried talking to him about the chalk. Then I talked to him about being patient. Then I talked to him about feelings and not being able to express them. It wasn’t one long speech, but every time he told me to “get dressed”, I tried a different approch.

At 12:30pm I gave him his half instant release Adderall and hoped it would help him settle so he could do his chalk thang. From 12:30 until about 1:30, he was outside and inside… back and forth. He’d tell me to get dressed, I’d tell him why that wasnt gonna happen, he’d start yelling some script in Ben-Jabberish, I’d tell him to quit yelling before he woke his mother, he’d grunt and go outside and yell. Then the whole thing would start again. Freakin exhausting!

He was able to settle down finally. Either he got it out of his system or the med helped. He started doing his thang with the three or four boxes of chalk he’s gotten in last couple days.

He was still shaving and arranging when the alarm went off for his 2:30pm meds. He got up on the couch with me around 3:15pm. Daughter got up at 3:30pm and took over. I gave my report and tried to decide whether to go to get my meds and the groceries then, or wait until tomorrow. I decided to get it over with.

So I got dressed and I went to the store… ugh! I got everything on my list except egg roll wraps. Daughter decided she wants me to make Lumpia for her birthday next week. It’s gonna be impossible if I cant find egg roll wraps. By 4:15pm I was back home, and putting the stuff away.

Now it’s time for sunset, then Pregame Show and Driving Miss Daisy.

In honor of the Word Of The Day, an excellent song… the video cracks me up too.

Warning – Green Day

I knew when I saw how early Ben had gotten me up that it was going to be a long, trying day. It just felt like one of those days when a bunch of little stuff goes wrong. A dropping stuff day, a losing stuff day, a “get dressed… go to the store…” day. Self-fulfilling prophecy? Maybe. I think I’m just good at recognizing the signs. Daughter is off tomorrow night and several nights after. We have to drop her tonight and pick her up in the morning. I don’t think we have anything else planned. I hope not. I’d like a mellow day, please and thank you. ¡Hasta mañana!






15 thoughts on “Part 296 ~ The Adventures of King Ben & Zeus the Big Dumb Dog

    1. I’ve read a few articles… ya know, in my spare time🙄 and yeah, totally saw it coming, but still surreal. I hope that REAL consequences follow. It makes me sad how many people still think it’s all okay. The gal that was shot, was from here. Lived in Ocean Beach which is wild since OB is hippie central. 🤐🤐🤐
      I’m used to 5 hours, and you’re right. That extra hour does make a difference. Especially when the days have been intense and pain is flaring.🙄
      I’m getting too old for this shit🤪😖🤣💕

      Liked by 1 person

  1. Ooops, 3:45 is night yet. I hope you can turn in early tonight. Tiring day and lot of extra stress too. Sending you warm hugs my friend. Mellow few days would be wonderful. 🥰🤗

    Liked by 1 person

  2. As you and I have chatted before, this “lack of sleep” angle is overwhelming. I don’t have anyone kicking doors in the middle of the night and whatnot, but I have my own issues that result in me rarely getting more than four or five hours of sleep a night. The folks who can sleep like the dead just don’t understand what it’s like. I’m still on the verge of telling Partner that I’m driving to a cabin in the middle of nowhere and I’m going to do nothing but sleep and read for two months. So if I disappear from WordPress suddenly, you can smile in sympathy and understand that I finally made good on my wishes. Or my internet connection went down, one of the two… 😉

    Liked by 1 person

    1. As Paula wrote, there’s a difference between 4 hours and 5 hours too. I can get by on 5 hours for a long time. 6 hours would be ideal. 8 hours?? That’s a unicorn… no, I believe in unicorns… 8 hours would be like an honest politician. Ain’t happening.
      The last time I slept like that was when I was “sleep taking meds”. I took almost 60 3mg Lunesta. A month supply. I slept for a day.
      I should’ve died TBH. Just tells me I have a Purpose. And I don’t take Lunesta anymore.😘

      Liked by 1 person

  3. Oh my, 3:45? Ugghh. And then with the meds not working! That is a long and exhausting day. I hope everything went well last night and this morning and you have a mellow day ahead!

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Last night went well and he’s doing good so far. Chalk and Happy Noises.💃🏼

      Did/Does Bob take instant release? I’m just curious about the dosage. Ben is on a low dose, 5mg. I’m just curious about the difference from an actual user’s perspective.
      The teeth grinding… he hasn’t done that in a long time. It was a constant for the longest time and I hate to see it back ☹

      Is the GLYSB coming for D tomorrow. I’m sure you told me/us, but I can’t remember 🤦🏼‍♀️🙄💕🌻


  4. I complain when my dog wakes me at 6.30am! That was a long and tiring day. Hope you get Ben’s meds sorted soon too, as it certainly sounds as if they are not working for him, and that would make such a difference for you. ☺️

    Liked by 1 person

    1. The phone appointment is on the 13th. His med doctor is very slow and careful about changes.🙄🤦🏼‍♀️ I get it. He’s 12, a child. But 12 is also borderline “adult” with most meds, and it’s based on weight too. He weighs around 115 pounds or 52kg or 8 stone (as my friend Rory likes to use) he’s a big boy! He can take an “adult” dose of medication.
      I hate that he needs them. But he definitely does. He’s happier when the ADHD is controlled.💕

      Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.